Thursday, August 15, 2013

College Visit Proposal

 Greetings Frontline Sponsors, Parents, and students,
  • This message is intended primarily for junior and senior students in Frontline who are considering going to college after they're finished with high school. I realized a few weeks ago that we have a lot of interest, but with different schedules and the general cost (let alone the time it takes), it might be hard for students to get a chance to visit some great reformed schools in the Midwest.
    Therefore, I am trying to put together a trip in which we use the church van and drive to Iowa. Students would all get a chance to visit Central College in Pella, IA (an RCA school and Pastor Jud's Alma mater), and then would get to choose between visiting Dordt College (a CRC school) or Northwestern College (an RCA school). At this point, I have spoken with all three colleges and would like to figure out how much interest there would be among students in doing this trip with the following TENTATIVE outline:
    Wednesday, October 30: Leave FGRC in the late afternoon/early evening. Arrive in Pella, IA late Wednesday night.
    Thursday, October 31: Visit Central College. Leave Pella in the mid afternoon and drive to Northwest IA. Arrive late evening.
    Friday, November 1: Students choose to visit either Dordt College (Sioux Center, IA) or Northwestern College (Orange City, IA). Visits finish mid-afternoon.
    Saturday, November 2: Drive back to MI (or complete drive if we start the trek back on Friday).
    As I said, this is a tentative schedule, but I'm curious how many would be interested.

    A few points of Interest: 1) Students would miss 1 day of school (Thursday, October 31). Hudsonville Public has Friday, November 1 with No School. It is my understanding that students are allowed one "free skip" day for college visits.
    2) I am hoping to coordinate this visit with another local youth pastor from Zeeland. That would give me a 2nd driver and allow kids to meet other youth in the area.
    3) If this youth pastor cannot come, I will need a 2nd driver to come along and I'm open to ideas (sponsors/parents?)
    Think this through and let me know how you feel about it. I will try to get a concensus on how people feel and make a final decision soon so we can get something on the calendar.
    Other details: a) We would use the church 15 passenger van b) Seniors would be given preference if there are more requests than seats available. After that would be a lotto system. c) Cost would be minimal. Approximately $25/student along with a little bit of spending money if they wanted it

No comments:

Post a Comment